I shall, at all times:
- Remember that I am the legal and ethical conscience of my organisation and conduct myself accordingly.
- Remember that I am a lawyer first, with an overriding duty and responsibility to my profession and the general public.
- Ensure my organisation’s long-term interests and reputation are paramount in my work.
- Proactively identify, manage and mitigate my organisation’s legal and regulatory risk, legitimately pressing the interests of my organisation to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Strive to thoroughly understand my organisation and its business so that I am able to provide outcome-led, practical, innovative and cost effective advice and assistance.
- Partner with my organisation’s business leaders to capture opportunities utilising the full potential of the law.
- Maintain my legal technical skills and continue to educate myself on changes in the law relevant to my organisation and its regulatory environment.
- Manage my costs to deliver the best available advice and assistance for the best price to my organisation.
- Endeavour to attract, retain and develop the best legal talent for my organisation.
© Pacific Business Press Limited & the In-House Community
A downloadable PDF version for sharing is also below.
The Corporate Counsel Credo eventuated as a result of discussions at our In-House Community Congress events, where counsel suggested that they would find such a document useful in meeting their ethical, legal and business commitments and responsibilities within their organisations. The Credo has been created in conjunction with a number of our Thought Leaders, and we sincerely hope it will be a useful tool to all in-house counsel in their roles.