Aris GulapaManaging Owner
Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions
Energy & Natural Resources
Maritime & Aviation
Real Estate & Construction
Aris Gulapa is a Filipino lawyer qualified in the Philippines and in New York, specializing in corporate and commercial laws. He has advised multinational clients on their cross-border transactions in the course of his legal practice in Manila, Singapore, Vietnam, Tokyo, and New York. He worked as an associate in SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan (December 2003 to June 2006); Kelvin Chia Partnership (Singapore and Vietnam offices, July 2006 to June 2008); and Anderson Mori & Tomotsune (Tokyo office, July 2008 to June 2010). He was also research assistant to Professor Harry First, the former head of the Antitrust Bureau of the Office of the Attorney-General of New York, from September 2010 to May 2011.
Aris is an In-House Community “Commended External Counsel”. He is ranked by Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific/Global as a leading Philippine lawyer in the Projects/Infrastructure and Corporate/M&A fields. He is named a Leading Individual in Real Estate & Construction and recommended in Corporate/M&A and Projects & Infrastructure by The Legal500.
Aris obtained his Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree with honors from the Ateneo Law School and his Master of Laws (LL.M.) from the New York University School of Law as an Arthur T. Vanderbilt scholar. He currently teaches various law courses at the Ateneo Law School, particularly the Law on Public-Private Partnerships, the Law on Sales, Conflict of Laws, ASEAN Economic Law & Relations, and Foreign & Comparative Law. He is also a visiting professor at Kyushu University School of Law, lecturing on PPP projects among other things.
His experience includes:
- Advising the International Finance Corporation (“IFC”), the transaction advisors of the Philippine Bases Conversion and Development Authority, on the Clark International Airport, Development and Operation, and Maintenance Project
- Advising the Maya Consortium of the Aboitiz group and VINCI Airports on their bid for the Regional Airports PPP Project
- Representing AAA Airport Partners, the consortium of A2 Airport Partners, Inc. (an Ayala-Aboitiz company) and ADC & HAS Airports Worldwide, Inc., in their bid for the Mactan Cebu International Airport Project
- Representing the Ayala Group in their unsolicited proposal for the financing, design, construction, and operation and maintenance of the C3 Elevated Expressway Project
- Advising Ayala Land, Inc., the winning bidder, on the implementation of the South Integrated Transport System PPP Project
- Advising the IFC and the Development Bank of the Philippines, the transaction advisors of the Department of Transportation and Communications and the Light Rail Transit Authority, on the Light Rail Transit Line 1 Cavite Extension, Operations & Maintenance PPP Project
- Representing APO Agua Infrastructura, Inc. (an Aboitiz affiliate) in its establishment of a joint venture with the Davao City Water District for the Tamugan River Bulk Water Project under the 2008 NEDA Joint Venture Guidelines
- Advising AXA Philippines on its post-merger integration with Charter Ping An Insurance Corporation
Aris Gulapa has been named an In-House Community – Commended External Counsel of the Year for 2017.