Date(s) - 08 Apr 2020
4:00 pm - 4:50 pm
“What law firms don’t want you to ask when hiring them. Creating the optimum law firm panel and sustaining long term, ‘win-win’ partnerships based on trust”.
When: Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Time zones: 4:00pm – 4:50pm Hong Kong, China / Singapore time.
FREE FOR JADE MEMBERS.
Non-Jade members: Early Bird Discount: US$ 49 (limited availability).
‘What will I be able to take away from this webinar?’
In this exclusive webinar specifically created for senior in-house counsel, our presenter, Paul Smith will share key insights from his vast experience working with senior in-house counsel and legal departments, including:
- Aligning the corporate legal department to the strategic aims of the corporation;
- Moving beyond a cost centre to adding value to the corporation;
- What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced;
- Optimising the internal resource – Scoping the external need;
- Coverage, compliance, cost and consistency;
- The difficulties of calculating external law firm spend;
- Preparing an invitation to tender and who to invite;
- How to negotiate law firm fees utilising a range of pricing models.
- Making the most of added value services e.g. secondments and training;
- Encouraging collaboration between panel law firms;
- Using annual benchmark surveys; and
- Using technology to manage the firms and to create useful management information.
About our Speaker:
Paul Smith is the former Global Chairman of Eversheds Sutherland and Co- Author of ‘The Real Deal Law Firm Leadership that Works’, including the firm’s global client strategy in groundbreaking partnering arrangements for Tyco and DuPont, among others. He led the firm’s transatlantic merger creating a firm with over US$1 billion in revenues.
“….compulsory reading for law firm boards everywhere.” Professor Richard Susskind OBE, author of Tomorrow’s Lawyers.
The idiom ‘Poacher turned Gamekeeper’ accurately describes Paul Smith’s new role of being a Consultant to In-House Counsel as his previous role was opposite to that in his capacity of securing the best terms for Eversheds Sutherland. That firm created truly ‘win-win’ global contracts between clients and law firms. Hence Paul is uniquely placed to advise corporate legal departments on their relationships with external law firms, having led many successful bids to global law departments, and also having consulted with legal departments on the best models to utilise.
Spaces are strictly limited. To register for this invite only webinar, simply complete the form: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8015927255641941515
People, ideas, machines — in that order
A book review of “The Real Deal: Law Firm Leadership That Works” by Paul Smith and Sally Dyson >>>